Saturday, October 4, 2008

Baby Love

I was talking to another mom the other day, and they said "I don't want to wish this away, but I can't wait until my baby..."

That caught my ear, because I had been having similar thoughts myself.

I would be holding Lorelei on the couch, her little warm floppy newborn body sleeping soundly on my chest and thinking "Won't it be neat when she can interact more with me."

As soon as that thought passed I would feel a tinge of regret that all too soon I wouldn't have a little girl who was only calm when I was letting her sleep on my chest.











Those days have already passed. Today if I set her on my chest that was she starts wiggling like crazy. Kicking with her ever stronger legs and lifting her head up, grunting as she exercises her muscles. Eventually she may fall asleep, but these days she prefers the quiet of her crib to the relative loudness of my heart beat and the television I used to keep my sanity sitting there for hours on end.

Today, her favorite things that calm her down are pulling a blanket over her face and then pulling it back off, and her crib mobile. The close runners up are her pacifier, and chewing on her fist.

I look forward to her being able to sit up on her own, but I will miss she way she slumps on my lap and the look of intense concentration she gets trying to hold herself up.

No comments: